Thursday, October 15, 2009

Bereishit

The foundational text of Monotheism starts, sensibly enough, at the very beginning. “Let there be light” seems reasonable. “Let there be a firmament” works fine, too. But we are given cause to pause when Day Six rolls around and the good Lord unexpectedly declares: “let us make man!” (Emphasis mine; italics rarely appear in the original Hebrew.)


As so often happens, the Midrash provides the answer long before you’ve asked the question.


Rabbi Shemuel bar Nahman said in the name of Rabbi Yonatan: While Moshe was writing the Torah, he wrote what was created on each day [of Creation]. When he reached this verse, “God said: Let us make man in our image, as our likeness” – he said: “Lord of the universe, why are you giving a pretext to the heretics?”


He answered him: “Write; a person who wishes to be mistaken will be mistaken.” (Bereishit Rabba [Vilna], parasha 8)


It seems that even that single condition is frequently redundant; a person will be mistaken regardless of whether he wishes to be mistaken. The simplest demonstration of this fact is that, at a bare minimum, two-thirds of the world’s population have picked the wrong religion. Further evidence can be found in any robust democracy: a very substantial minority invariably votes the “wrong” way. We make bad choices about our jobs, our studies, our purchases and our relationships. As a species, our favourite pastime seems to be walking around with our eyes resolutely shut.


Over the coming year, I intend to write my thoughts on the weekly parashah. I will write about what I find enchanting, and what I find distasteful. Doubtless I will offend some. If you are one who is easily offended, this planet may not be for you.


I cannot give you Truth. Heck, ignorant as I am, I can hardly give you Knowledge. But Entertainment seems like an altogether more reasonable goal. Some Stimulation may well be in order. And we shall, I hope, have Fun.


Confucius noted that the man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. And I think no more can be asked of any man, than to stand tall, when the situation calls for it, and proclaim: “These are my stones!”

1 comment:

  1. I am God.
    I do not wish to be mistaken.
    Therefore, I am God.

    ReplyDelete